Catholic Trivia Quiz
How well do you know your Church? Test your knowledge in every issue of the Southern Cross magazine –
1.Whose Gospel opens with the words: “In the beginning was the Word…”?
a) Matthew b) Luke c) John
2. In the liturgy what is the “ambo”?
a) Altar rail b) Baptismal font c) Lectern
3. Which archdiocese is not dedicated to the Sacred Heart?
a) Bloemfontein b) Johannesburg c) Pretoria
4. What is the meaning of Bergoglio, Pope Francis’ civil surname?
a) Mountain dweller b) Short man c) Village in Piedmont
5. Which devotion was revealed to St Simon Stock?
a) Perpetual Adoration b) Rosary c) Scapular
6. What was Martin Luther called to attend to answer charges of heresy in May 1521?
a) Can of Worms b) Diet of Worms c) Edict of Worms
7. In which order was Maria von Trapp in The Sound of Music a novice?
a) Benedictines b) Poor Clares c) Sisters of Mercy
8. What artform was the late Fr Frans Claerhout OMI of Bloemfontein world-famous for?
a) Painting b) Poetry c) Singing
9. Who is the patron saint of IT and the Internet?
a) Genesius of Rome b) Isidore of Seville c) Vitalis of Assisi
10. By wordcount, which is the longer book in the Old Testament?
a) Jeremiah b) Joshua c) Judges
11. What is the home village of the children who saw Mary in Fatima?
a) Aljustrel b) Cova de Iria c) Valinhos
12.Which of these famous athletes is a practising Catholic?
a) Michelle Wie b) Serena Williams c) Simone Biles
1.c) John; 2. c) Lectern; 3. b) Johannesburg; 4. c) Village in Piedmont; 5. c) Scapular; 6. b) Diet of Worms (The Edict of Worms would open a can of worms); 7. a) Benedictines (in Nonnberg Abbey); 8. a) Painting; 9. b) Isidore of Seville; 10. a) Jeremiah (some say it’s the longest in the Old Testament); 11. a) Aljustrel; 12. c) Simone Biles (her patron saint is St Sebastian)
Published in the May 2021 issue of The Southern Cross
Subscribe to receive more content like this. There is a range of options – 3,6,12 months and print, digital or a combination subscription to both (for the same price!). Order latest editions or back-copies at R30 (plus R12 p&p) from email@example.com, or order online for your parish