How to Say the Rosary
The first part of the Hail Mary is the angel’s words announcing Christ’s incarnation and Elizabeth’s greeting to Mary. Pope Pius V officially added the second part of the Hail Mary.
The Mysteries of the Rosary centre on the events of Christ’s life. There are four sets of Mysteries: Joyful, Sorrowful, Glorious and – added by Pope John Paul II in 2002 – Luminous.
The repetition in the Rosary is meant to lead one into restful and contemplative prayer related to each mystery. The gentle repetition of the words helps us to enter into the silence of our hearts, where Christ’s spirit dwells. The Rosary can be said privately or with a group.
The Five Joyful Mysteries are traditionally prayed on Mondays, Saturdays, and, during the season of Advent, on Sundays.
The Five Sorrowful Mysteries are traditionally prayed on Tuesdays, Fridays, and, during the season of Lent, on Sundays.
The Five Glorious Mysteries are traditionally prayed on Wednesdays and, outside the seasons of Advent and Lent, on Sundays.
The Five Luminous Mysteries are traditionally prayed on Thursdays.
To pray the Rosary:
- Make the Sign of the Cross.
- Holding the Crucifix, say the Apostles’ Creed.
- On the first bead, say an Our Father.
- Say one Hail Mary on each of the next three beads.
- Say the Glory Be
- For each of the five decades, announce the Mystery (perhaps followed by a brief reading from Scripture) then say the Our Father.
- While fingering each of the ten beads of the decade, next say ten Hail Marys while meditating on the Mystery. Then say a Glory Be.
- After finishing each decade, some say the prayer requested by the Blessed Virgin Mary at Fatima: “O my Jesus, forgive us our sins…”
- After saying the five decades, say the Hail, Holy Queen, followed by the “Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God” dialogue.
- Conclude the Rosary with the Sign of the Cross.
Latest posts by Jael SC (see all)
- Mass for Law Enforcement and Prison Ministry - February 21, 2019
- Pope Meets Head of Microsoft to Discuss Ethics in Technology, AI - February 19, 2019
- Religious Rights Group Deplores ‘Anti-Christian Hostility’ in France - February 19, 2019