Humanae Vitae is Truly Justified
Damian McLeish, Johannesburg – In 1968 Pope Paul VI issued the papal encyclical Humanae Vitae, now an integral part of Catholic teaching, which prohibited all artificial birth control because of the following principles:
- Sexual relations cannot be divorced from fecundity.
- The above practice, by preventing conception and birth after sexual relations, breaches the law of nature, which is the law of Almighty God.
There was immediate dissent from a large portion of world opinion, including many senior Catholic prelates, who then expressed their approval of the birth control pill.
This dissent, internationally and in South Africa, has proliferated over the years and is very evident in the Church today.
Birth Control Pill Does More Than We Think
However, there has been a modern development which has rendered it unjustifiable, illogical and harmful. This is the indisputable medical knowledge today that most forms of artificial birth control are abortifacient and often destroy new infant lives in the womb.
This basic truth is lucidly verified and explained by American Randy Alcorn in his booklet “Does the birth control pill cause abortions?”, which can be read online at www.epm.org/static/uploads/downloads/bcpill.pdf and bought at www.epm.org
This dissent is today resulting in increased human deaths in the womb and the loss of immortal souls. It should thus cease forthwith and be replaced in our churches by sermons and courses which support and explain Humanae Vitae and the immense benefits and blessings that can flow from this important encyclical.
Latest posts by Letters Editor (see all)
- Learn By Doing: “A Person is a Christian in Order to Become One” - June 19, 2018
- Follow the Christ of the Gospels, Not Your Own “Rules” - June 19, 2018
- Let Communion Unite Christians - June 9, 2018