Caprese Advent Wreath
Every month Grazia Barletta prepares a recipe in her Cape Town kitchen exclusively for The Southern Cross, and shares it with our readers in text and photos.
In the northern hemisphere, Advent is in the cold winter, and seasonal food and drink is meant to warm you up. Here in South Africa, Advent is in summer, and our seasonal menu reflects that.
My easily-made Caprese wreath is a great addition to your festive table. Not only is it a delicious and popular salad, but it also makes an attractive table centrepiece. Enjoy it as an appetiser or serve it as a side dish; it is the ideal companion to hot or cold dishes, meat, fish or poultry.
Preparation: 15 min • Servings: 4
- 50g fresh basil leaves
- 200g baby spinach leaves
- 1 small punnet of bosa tomatoes, halved • 2 tubs bocconcini mozzarella balls, halved • Olive oil • Balsamic glaze to drizzle • Salt and pepper to taste
- Gently wash and dry the basil leaves and baby spinach.
- Arrange the baby spinach leaves decoratively around the edge of a large round (ideally white) platter.
- Arrange the bosa tomatoes and bocconcini mozzarella on the spinach leaves, and then scatter basil leaves in between.
- When ready to serve season to taste and drizzle olive oil and balsamic glaze.
- Enjoy with an Advent prayer!
Grazia Barletta is an author, book designer, and food photographer & stylist. She can be contacted at . Follow her blog at www.momentswithgrazia.com and connect with Grazia on Facebook/Instagram: momentswithgrazia
This recipe was published in the November 2022 issue of The Southern Cross magazine